Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Skye

After watching a TV documentary about the Isle of Skye this afternoon, I was blatantly reminded of how I never shared the highlights of my time in Skye with you. So without further ado, here's a little summary of the trip.



My family and I decided to go to Skye for my 25th birthday. The Isle of Skye is the largest and most northern island of the Inner Hebrides and can most easily be reached by the Skye Bridge. The drive from Glasgow airport to our Bed&Breakfast in the Northeastern part of the island took about 7 hours, including multiple stops to take pictures. We drove through the West Highlands and the well known Glencoe, posed in front of Scotland's most famous castle Eilean Donan and marvelled at the not quite ordinary scenery.

Despite it being late fall, the weather during our 3-day adventure was absolutely gorgeous. The sun was shining brightly and we were spared rainfall. Solely the to be expected winds reminded us of where exactly we were located. Conveniently, a warm and knitted sweater proved to be excellent remedy.


We stayed in the sweetest little B&B, midway between Portree and the most northern point of the Trotternish Peninsula, facing mainland Scotland. The Trotternish peninsula is home to two of the most famous landmarks of Skye: The Old Man of Storr and the Quiraing. However, even off the beaten track, Skye wins over any traveller's heart. The interaction between Skye's breath-taking scenery and the ever-changing exposure to sunlight, is not only a dream come true for photographers but anyone willing to marvel at the beauty of God's creation.



I've had some of the best seafood while on Skye, which given its excellent location is not that big of a surprise. For almost every meal, I ate my fair share of lobster, shrimp and mussels - certainly enough to last me an entire year.



No comments:

Post a Comment